Welcome to Sea of Glass- a blog about hunting glass treasures...

Bookmark us as a favorite! glasstracker.blogspot.com

Welcome! This is a blog about the modern day treasure hunt... When the waves are flat, and the air is cold, I am usually in pursuit of glass treasures... Call me a digger, a glass-tracker, or a modern-day archaeologist. Whatever the title, for this pirate it's all about the hunt. Whether it's scouring various beaches for ocean tumbled sea glass and historical trinkets or digging for bottles and native american artifacts, I will be sure to post my adventures here. You can also purchase my finds at my online store: www.seaofglass.etsy.com

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Frozen Dig

The winter is the best time to dig- It's easier to find those tell-tale bottle tops and glass shards from a long-gone era glistening through the surface of the leaves, the earth is a bit more wet and easier to get through with the shovel and rake, and there is no poison ivy or ticks to deal with.  If you're willing to fight the cold, it's great.  The anticipation of the find keeps you warm, and the cold air is good for you.

I went digging this past week, and it was frigid, but eventful.  I did manage to find a couple treasures that are worth noting.  In my last post, I mentioned a little bit about a particular bottle that I have been finding in recent digs at "The Sweet Spot".  The bottle that I am referring to is a heavy, aqua, BIM (blown in cup-mold) soda/beer bottle.  It is unique.  The bottle is almost always lopsided, filled with air bubbles, stretch marks, and pot stones.  The glass is unevenly distributed throughout, making each one different from the next.  There are no markings except for a set of initials and a date on the bottom.  The initials are "D.B.", and the date is always a "92" or a "93" (1892-1893).  The best part about these bottles is that they are always in perfect condition.  The heaviness and thickness of the glass keeps them preserved and they always clean up really well.

Before my most recent dig, I had found 4 of them, and they were all found during different digs.  I've really been hoping that I would find at least 2 more for a complete 6-pack, but digs within the past month found me in a D.B. dry spell, and I was beginning to think that I had found my fair share of them.  However, my most recent dig produced 7 more, and they were all together in one pocket of earth!  Needless to say, I have more than enough D.B.s, so I will be able to sell a couple in our online store once I can determine what they are worth.  Keep your eye out for them!

"D.B." Bottles c1892-1893
"SLOAN'S LINIMENT" Medicinal c1890s.
"CELEBRATED H.H.H. MEDICINE D.D.T. 1868" Horse Medicinal c1880s-1890s.
Notice the unique and rare color of the HHH bottle- yellow/grey.


A nice find: A whole piece of stoneware.  Cream-colored with black stamp.  I suppose they are initials "CW".  There is also a mark on the bottom that appears to have been made with a finger nail.  It's a simple comma or crescent moon.
Still researching this one.  If anyone has any clues, leave a response.

3 comments:

  1. I have found a Sloan's Liniment bottle marked USA here in a wood in Wiltshire, UK, so was very interested to see your collection. They must have been made for export too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found a 'CW' stoneware piece for sale in Upper Township. No idea the maker, but must be local.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just purchased the exact same piece of crockery at a flea market in Philadelpia, PA. Have you found anything else about it? This is the only other piece I have seen anywhere...any help is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete